Thursday, September 22, 2011

Words, Expressions

I don’t understand what the US population is saying half the time and I blame stupid, archaic expressions. There are many of these strange phrases that make absolutely no sense unless you know the back story and/or grew up on them (I wonder what our parents/guardians are trying to do to our generation sometimes).

I dated this guy once who was basically obsessed with using these STRANGE expressions I’d never heard of before. I blame this mainly on him coming from New York and being a Yankees fan.

Anyways—one expression that really bothered me: “Them’s the breaks.” What the hell does that mean!? As I puzzled over this while eating a bowl of cereal one evening alone in my room, I came to the conclusion that it couldn’t possibly be an actual phrase and my ex was probably doing crack on a regular basis. To prove this to myself, I decided to google it.

Mistake.  Other people out there have heard it too. My day-dreams of my ex doing crack dashed, I decided to watch TV. As I flipped through channels I happened across Gilmore Girls, a show I obsessed over in middle school. Just as I was about to change the channel, what do I hear, much to my dismay? “Them’s the breaks.” Damn it!

The stupid phrase was taking over. I returned to my lap top. Apparently it translates to “That’s the way the cookie crumbles,” a more understandable, yet still thoroughly annoying expression, and harkens to the New York area.

Some internet users are holding out for it translating to “Duh” and in “Them’s the breaks of the goddamn car you’re supposed to know how to drive.” Saying it with a Southern accent will make this translation more understandable; if you’re too lazy for that, ask me to do it for you. I’ve mastered this accent as my mother grew up in rural Indiana on the Kentucky border.

This search set me off though as I struggled to explain other phrases. “Bloody”  the British swear word for instance. This one annoys me terribly when my best friend’s annoying friend says it (I mean she’s live in America for 80% of her life, enough with the fake accent already!), yet causes me to gush whenever ginger haired Rupert Grint lets it slip to Harry or Hermione.

I’ve been telling people for years that it comes from “By our Lady” (referring to the head-Virgin-in-charge) and was slurred to “bloody” after King Henry VIII broke with the Roman Catholic Church in 1533, but I never actually confirmed this. Turns out I was right--- sort of. They’re not exactly positive where it comes from, but my guess is one of theirs too. Plus it’s the internet, everyone’s right.

The last phrase that I shall rant about is “Close! But no cigar.” I mean, what the frickety frick FRICK? (Yes I do watch too much Scrubs.) I understand when to use it: when someone fails, but clearly saying “FAIL!” is both clearer and more effectively condescending.

I mean, lets say George is trying to fly a kite and can’t get it off the ground. Sally is watching him and says “FAIL!” This makes sense, he can’t even get a damn kite off the ground. However when he finally manages to catch some wind she jumps for joy, whooping, and smothering him in delighted kisses.

However if she started this by saying, “Close George, but no cigar!” what is she supposed to say when he succeeds? I have tried myself to shout “Cigar! Cigar! Yes!!!!! Cigar!” in these types of situations and no one has ever gotten it; I am left with blank stares and odd looks and mothers who make their children change seats on the T.

Oh well, that’s what I get for trying to use a phrase or expression. Stupid little buggers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...